13 Oct Your Logo: Time for a Makeover?
Domino’s did it. Facebook did it Google did it…. Should you?
Chances are, when you started your business, you didn’t have a crystal ball. Your original plans and ideas for your brand, products, services, and core customers may now be taking a different route to success. If that’s the case, your logo may no longer be consistent with your current and future vision.
And as it turns out, logos really matter–research confirms what common sense already tells us: logos significantly impact consumer attitude and recognition.
Logos are the foundation of your brand and brand identity for three reasons:
- They are often the first thing people see—on your website, your packaging, your marketing materials, etc.
- They are consistent—unlike human interactions that can vary from experience to experience, the logo is the same every time you see it, and so it provides a consistent impression for your customers to remember.
- They work on an emotional level—logos are graphic, which means that our brains begin to process them before we form conscious thoughts or opinions; in other words, they produce an immediate, emotional, gut reaction. And people buy—or don’t—based on emotion.
Put all of this together, and what you’ve got in your logo is something pretty powerful: the graphic version of a flesh and blood ambassador, introducing you, speaking for you, setting the tone for what people think of who you are and what you stand for. Oftentimes, before they even talk to you on the phone or in person, customers will see this logo and begin to form an opinion about how professional, approachable, competent and innovative you are.
So the million-dollar question is, what does your logo say about you?
Take a step back and look at your current logo. Try to see it through the eyes of a brand-new prospective customer, then run through this checklist:
What does your logo say about your brand, products, and services?
What feeling does your logo evoke? Rely on your gut reaction here, and jot down the first words that come to mind when you see your logo. Maybe it’s trendy, classic, fun, reliable, elegant, confident, bold, energetic, inspirational—whatever it is, jot it down and compare it to the emotions you want people to have when they encounter your brand.
☐ Does your logo set you apart from your competition?
☐ Does it fit with your current business?
☐ Does it fit with your future business vision?
☐ Are you considering a company name change?
☐ Are you merging with another company?
☐ Has your business model, products and/or services changed?
☐ Does your logo work on all media settings?
☐ Is the style dated?
☐ Does it look professional?
If you find that your logo is not evoking the feeling you want, or is no longer consistent with your business or vision, it’s time for a logo makeover.
Logo changes can be major, like dropping the word “Pizza” from underneath the Domino icon, or subtle, like Google shifting from a serif to a sans serif font. Even small changes can have a huge impact: Recently, Facebook adjusted their logo in such a minor way that most users didn’t even notice. They kept the word “facebook” in lower case, and just made the font a tad thinner, and the “a” a little rounder. But Google “Facebook logo” and look at the old and new logo side by side—which one looks more approachable, modern, and inviting?
If it is time for a Logo Makeover™, here are a few things to discuss with your graphic designer:
- What is your long term vision for your business?
- How are you different from your competitors?
- Who is your current customer? Will your target audience be changing?
- Where will your logo be used (print, web, promotional materials)?
- What message(s) do you want it to convey?
- Is a total redesign called for, or just a minor update with new color scheme and/or fonts?
- What materials will need to be revised to reflect your new logo?
Whether your logo just needs a little touch-up to its layout or design, or a major makeover, Illustrated Designs is ready to evaluate and perfect it, so that it represents you to your target audience in the best way possible. Call us today to get started!